Practice:Ministry of Education, Science and Sport
DescriptionDescription of practiceDo’s and don’ts when setting up a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) project team for the first time – What worked well and what could we improve in the next self-evaluation.
Doing by Learning - The implementation of identified improvements opportunities in many cases started during the course of self-assessment at the time they were brought to light.
Setting up CAF full informatization support – Creating CAF Project Site (SharePoint 2016), which encompasses project documentation, scoring and enables the interactive work of project team members at the same time.
The Ministry of Education, Science and Sport (MESS) received at the beginning of the year 2018 a CAF beginner recognition. MESS joined CAF - in mid-2017. Therefore the CAF self-assessment illustrates a starting point of the quality management system implementation, which has not been systematically managed so far. The members of the project team (group) have been using the CAF model of evaluation for the first time, nevertheless, there was a strong sense of professionalism, great desire to introduce improvements and a considerable measure of enthusiasm among the assessors. The CAF project group was formed based on the hybrid criterion, taking into account the representation of internal organizational units (IOU), different fields of work, the knowledge and skills of employees according to CAF criteria. Having the quality of their own IOU in mind, both heads of bodies under the responsibility of the ministry, the Inspectorate of the Republic of Slovenia for Education and Sport and the Office of the Republic of Slovenia for Youth, at their request participated in the project group.
Results and outcomesResults and outcomes of the CAF implementationWhat worked well?
- Using a hybrid criterion to identify CAF project group members – exchanging members’ experiences and incorporating them into self-evaluation report
- Setting up CAF full informatisation support - Creating CAF Project Site (SharePoint 2016)
- Substituting lack of experiences and knowledge of project group members with regular short educational events
- Conducting a satisfaction survey on CAF project group members after finalizing the project
What could be improved?
- Timing – First workshop for CAF project group members took place before summer holidays, which prolonged the work of the project group, because the majority of work started out in September
- Communication plan – should include more activities for informing all employees about CAF benefits
- More short operational meeting should be organized
Although the CAF Action Plan was accepted and signed in December 2017, we already started to perform the identified opportunities for improvements during self-assessment in 2017, such as:
- Creating a CAF Project Site (SharePoint 2016), which encompasses project documentation and enables the interactive work of project team members at the same time. It ensures transparency of the work of the project group members.
The site includes basic project information, assignments of project team members, project documentation, including “evidence” folders, interactive entry by criteria (criterion, description of the criterion, sub-criterion, examples of sub-criterion, strengths, areas for improvement, evidence, questions, bookmarks, etc.) and input for scoring.
- Preparing of the scheme of MESS’ relevant stakeholders – it proved to be a necessity already in the early phase of the assessment, to create a common framework for work and evidence collecting regarding MESS stakeholder, because of the large number of stakeholder MESS is facing on everyday basis.
- Preparing the vision, challenges, mission and values of MESS – conducting a survey and workshop among MESS employees, including both bodies under the responsibility of the ministry, the Inspectorate of the Republic of Slovenia for Education and Sport and the Office of the Republic of Slovenia for Youth.
- Preparing MESS’ Personal Identification Card, including all basic relevant data about MESS, taking into account all fields of work.
- Implementing humanitarian activities among MESS’ employees:
- Appointing a co-worker of the year 2017.
Further informationFurther information of the practiceThis is an application form for a Good Practice Case for the 8th European CAF-User Event.
|Type of organisationType of organisation||Government Ministry (national, regional)|
|Function of organisationFunction of organisation||Education, Science, Sport|
|Size of organisationSize of organisation||251-1000|
|Level of governmentLevel of government||Central Government (national, federal)|
|OrganisationName of Organisation||Ministry of Education, Sience and Sport|
|DepartmentDepartment of the organisation||Ministry of Education, Science and Sport|
|AddressAddress of the organisation||Masarykova cesta 1646° 3' 26.98" N, 14° 30' 56.18" E|
|ZIPZIP code (postal code)||1000|
|CityCity, town or village||Ljubljana|
|WebsiteLink to the Website of the Organisation||https://www.gov.si/drzavni-organi/ministrstva/ministrstvo-za-izobrazevanje-znanost-in-sport/|
|EmailEmail of Organisationfirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.comURIs of the form "firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com" are not allowed.|
|PersonName of contact person||Maja Makovec Brenčič|
|Job titleJob title of the contact person||Minister|